Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Harvest


Harvest Season

What a beautiful time of year, especially to all the Green Thumbs out their reaping the benefits of their bounty! I’m sure they’re enjoying the beautiful fruits or vegetables they grew in their small gardens at home.  For some of apartment dwellers, or city folk who don’t have the time or space, what does this season even mean?
As tourists, we flock to rural fall fairs, enjoy the vendors, beer tents and it’s a time that is so important to the history of Ontario farming culture. There once was a time when 4 out of 5 people in Ontario were farmers, but now these fall fairs are more about the games and fun times rather than reward the farmers celebrating the hard work of their summers, from watching crops flourish.
It is also the time of year to start getting preserves ready. It is time to cellar hearty root vegetables for the long winter months ahead. For my generation, or anyone who grew up in the city, these festivals are another event to visit on the weekend. Personally, I feel that it’s important to understand the existence and meaning behind why they happen every year, so we don’t lose that part of our pioneer heritage!
What’s on the menu this week? During the past weekend, I catered an event for some awesome ladies called ‘The Roxettes!’ They are a former all-girl ball team, who get together every year for a week to do some fun thing like shop, eat and indulge in the finer things in life: like hire me as a personal chef to cook a nice dinner and breakfast for them at a rental mansion in Port Stanley, Ontario. I swear it was the house from the board game ‘Clue.’ I was lucky enough to crash in the old-school games room, which had the vintage blood red carpet with the cigar smoking and brandy sippin’ appeal you’d expect. Let me tell you it was freaky.
 The menu was as follows:
 Cocktail Hour 6pm-7pm, I did up some Caesars, the Motts Clamato, celery spice rimmed, and celery garnish you would expect! (But I love a good Caesar). I also love to get creative with the garnish, so on route to Port Stanley, I pulled off and hit up St. Jacobs, Market just to grab some provisions. I picked up some smoked back bacon, side bacon, pepperettes and produce (I jus love going to St. Jacobs Market). Basically, I did the straight up Caesar and garnished it with a pepperette, bread butter pickle and celery stick! It was awesome.
             Next I did up some sausage rolls. Having puff pastry on hand in the freezer is always a great play when it comes to home entertaining, (so what if it’s the president’s choice stuff) I didn’t make my own puff pastry dough, guilty as charged. I’m sure any chefs reading this, also have some ‘convenience product’ skeletons in their closet. Plus I am one-man show! I did get creative with the filling. I had some medium ground pork and I seasoned it up with a spice mix of toasted fennel, chili, oregano, dill, basil, garlic, salt and cracked pepper. I precooked this filling let it cool and began to proceed with filling the puff pastry. I rolled out, cut into 3 inch in diameter squares, added some cheese to the filling, and once I had them rolled nicely, I brushed them with beaten egg and into the oven 350 until brown. It was some golden sausage roll goodness.
Next item on the cocktail menu was my fiancées family’s grilled pork skewers. I take no credit for but all I know they marinade them for 2 days in their own secret recipe! And they are absolutely delicious.
The main course started with a roasted squash soup, I love harvest season in Ontario for squash are a plenty. I did this soup a day before the catering because soup needs at least 24 hours of resting before the full flavors of the ingredients develop. In the oven, I roasted a mixture of different squash, with a few bulbs of garlic, turnip and onion. Once the vegetables were soft and caramelized I added them to a pot of chicken broth, brought it up to a boil, let it cool and tossed it all in a blender to puree it. I garnished the soup with crushed plantain chips. (I love plantain chips).
Next, was the salad course, on route to Port Stanley, I stopped into the St. Thomas Golf and Country club. I met up with the executive chef who was also a competitor on Chopped Canada, and he took me on a tour of the area and the golf course and hooked me up with some local greens (salad greens that is). For the dressing, I tossed the salad in 3 parts canola oil, 1 part white wine vinegar, salt, pepper, and honey to taste. Then I added fresh mint and the juice and 2 halved limes.  I put it all in a mason jar and let it sit for 2 days prior. It was a most delicious Mojito lime dressing!
 The main course consisted of a fresh herb marinated grilled chicken, roasted brussel sprouts tossed with crisp bacon, sea salt boiled baby potatoes tossed with parsley and butter, curried spice roasted cauliflower, and stew tomatoes with garlic and fresh basil. Let me tell you the aroma that filled the room was amazing.
Dessert was grilled peaches tossed in a bourbon caramel sauce on top of a lemon pound cake with vanilla ice cream (which I didn’t make and also forgot to even bring). There’s nothing like having some peaches grilled and smothered in caramel sauce.
I said earlier this old mansion reminded me of the house from the game clue, in the dining room there was a grand piano, I thought it would be cool to plate the dessert on the grand piano and light them up individually flambé style, but of course it didn’t work. It was still cool and worth on a shot on my end. On the bright side, I could have potentially burned the place down, talk about showmanship!

Overall, it was an awesome catering event.  I had a blast, the ladies had a blast, and it was so much fun. We all shared in a good drink, surrounded by good friends, good food and at the end of the day its what its all about! Creating memories.

1 comment:

  1. um.....Homie.....you neglected to inform your blog enthusiasts that the OUTSTANDING BREAKFAST you served was every bit as delectable and delightful. Your entertainment as 'Rapper Chef', 'Dancing Chef', 'Singing Chef', and 'Presenting Chef' kept us enjoying you through our laughter....and it was truly a memorable weekend! You actually 'spoiled us rotten' (in only the best sense of the word).....your culinary and most creative talents did not go unnoticed.
    Note for future: serve the salad course in individual saucepans, what a hoot!!
    Thank you, thank you, thank you.

    ReplyDelete